We like summaries and we like to reminisce about our trips. The blog gives us the opportunity and even more motivation to look back on previous trips and summarize, point out what we liked best and what particularly stuck in our minds. In this post we will show you what to see in Cuba!
It is known, we return from vacation, a thousand thoughts, a thousand memories and ideas for further trips. The first meetings after returning with family, friends, work acquaintances look similar: we tell stories, show pictures and give our tips. Everything is hot, just as we remembered.
It is a flurry of memories, sights, adventures and what went wrong, but for a while we live it. And then the brutal return to reality, we fall into the whirlpool of work and after a few days we hardly remember that we had a vacation! ;)
And that’s why it’s a good idea to write down your memories, choose the most interesting photos and videos right away, and return to them often. Just looking at the photos can make us think back to our vacation and feel a little more rested.
Time also makes us change our perspective. Something that immediately upon our return seemed like the most beautiful thing we had seen will not necessarily be the most wonderful memory for us a year or two later. Eventually, our interests or passions change as well, and suddenly, instead of some architectural building, we become enthralled with mountain paths and imagine riding that road by bicycle.
So, we go back to our memories, and on the occasion of various world events we refresh the topics :) As you know, recently Obama went to Cuba so let’s also go back less than a year and recall what stuck in our minds the most (traditionally we will start from the place No. 10):
Top 10 attractions in Cuba
10. Cuban rum and drinks – we were never fond of rum, you could say that we honestly disliked it, but a trip to Cuba changed everything :) Let me warn you right away that rum is not equal to rum, but the original Havana Club in Cuba is a must try. Well, and it stole our hearts, especially in the famous Mojito or Canchanchara drinks. It is known that we will also buy this rum in Poland, but somehow under the palm trees it tastes more :)
9. ubiquitous propaganda and poverty – this is not the image we wanted to preserve, but it is impossible to forget. Above all, poverty, lack of access to food or hygiene products – it hit us hard, and even though it is not the poorest country in the world, it was still hard for us at times to look at the crumbling houses, meager meals or, finally, household appliances, which in our country are considered rubbish and simply thrown away, while there they are synonymous with wealth.
Also, the way the authorities influence the public was a surprise to us. OK, we expected propaganda but we also expected opposing Cubans, and we can count those on the fingers of one hand….
8. Cayo Jutias beach – a Caribbean island without an exotic beach? It could not be missing from this list :) Wild, natural, a meeting place for Cubans. A walk along the headland is highly recommended.
7. diving in the Bay of Pigs – probably the best dive so far. Why the best? Well, for several reasons: we did not expect such a beautiful reef, many faults, a shipwreck, or an exhibition on the bottom. It was a very positive surprise. The descent to the reef is straight from the shore, there was no need to take a boat out to the high seas.
Well, and finally, the fact that this was not the first dive, and the instructor was able to introduce an atmosphere of relaxation, so you could really focus on the beauty around you and not just on proper breathing or clearing the mask.
6. old cars with the Maluch in the lead. An integral part of landscapes and postcards from Cuba. Big fans of automobiles we are not, but the cab ride itself is quite an attraction. The most interesting thing about these cars is that they are older than we are, and they are well cared for, drive well, and will probably last them a while (just wait until Americans start importing them en masse as antiques for themselves).
5. Vinales – a beautiful area, lovely views, plenty of attractions (such as caves, a ride around the lime kilns, tobacco plantations) but also a good base, if only for Playa Cayo Jutias.
4 Destroyed Havana – a different Havana we would like to remember, but it was the dilapidated walls, potholed roads, and neglected buildings that stuck in our minds. And so what if they renovated some nice buildings in the very center, when right next to them are hovels that it’s scary to walk past them? We have written about Havana, among other places, here.
3. Cuban food – we’ve already written quite a bit about food, so go here for details. Fresh, organic, surprisingly creative :)
2 The hospitality of the Cuban people – we did not expect this, but although we had problems communicating in English, the Cubans were always there to offer advice and help. Staying overnight with them, we felt better than in many a five-star hotel.
The nicest rooms, the best bedding, the latest crockery and fresh food…. Eager to talk, very open-minded. Only once we ended up in worse conditions, but it was a house made for a guesthouse, where there were servants and the atmosphere was no longer the same.
1. picturesque Trinidad – best memories, most interesting experience and nice views. A city taken out of another era – this best describes the charm of this village. Just exploring the town takes moments, but we recommend taking a leisurely stroll through the cobblestone streets, having lunch in one of the houses converted into a restaurant, and sipping the local local drink Canchanchara in peace and quiet.
Here we also had the best accommodation and the nicest family we stayed with. The pros alone :)
To sum up…
There are many more memories and it is impossible to write everything out :) We hope that your trips to Cuba will be as rich in adventures and memories as ours.
Be sure to see also our
summary of Caribbean vacation in Cuba
Let us know in the comments what your top 10 from Cuba is! :)
We also recommend you TOP 10 places in Iceland, TOP 10 places in the Canary Islands, TOP 17 attractions in Japan, TOP 10 places in Madeira, TOP 5 attractions in Beijing, TOP 10 things you must do in the Faroe Islands, TOP 10 attractions in Rome, TOP 5 most beautiful places in Switzerland, TOP 9 places in Singapore and TOP 10 attractions in Lodz.