It will be extremely short and to the point – we present a list of the most interesting places in Singapore, in our opinion, that are worth seeing.
Singapore is a unique place in many ways. This highly developed city-state is one of the safer places we have been. It is a mix of cultures, yet it has a restrictive policy towards its residents and is famous for its many prohibitions, which can shock, amaze, surprise and even make you laugh a little. However, it is not to laugh at those who break the prohibitions, as whipping and even the death penalty are still practiced here (for tourists, ignorance of the laws is no excuse).
However, there is nothing to be afraid of, just respect and obey the laws here, and we assure you that even a short stay in Singapore will become a unique experience (you can read about the bans here).
Although the first associations with Singapore may be more about a highly developed country, skyscrapers, financial centers, clogged streets and a sea of people flowing down cramped streets amidst smog, the place is extremely green, full of vegetation and pedestrian-friendly. This is how we remembered Singapore: modern solutions and architecture interacting with beautiful gardens and ecological solutions.
So it’s worth seeing Singapore, to see that you can do things differently, better. Even if you only have a few hours to transfer at Changi Airport, it’s worth considering exploring the city.
Table of contents
TOP 9 places to see in Singapore
Below you will find a list of the most interesting and delightful places or experiences in Singapore:
- Garden Rhapsody light and sound show at Supertree Grove – our undisputed number 1 in Singapore, as well as our fondest memory of 2018. And while the entire Gardens by the Bay is worth recommending (point below), this show should be singled out and given special attention. Come in the evening, take a blanket, lie down on the ground and watch the show while looking up at the sky!
- Gardens by the Bay – already called out a point above, whole gardens where you will find lots and lots of attractions: tall Super Trees, Flower Dome, Cloud Forest, numerous gardens, ponds, exhibitions and installations. You could spend a whole day here and each of these places could be a separate item on our list.
- Marina Bay – headed by Singapore’s most iconic building, the Marina Bay Sands. With interesting architecture, museums, shopping malls, views of skyscrapers and the entire bay, and more light and music shows (this time on the water!), this is something to see in Singapore, especially since it’s right next to Gardens by the Bay.
- Singapore Zoo and River Safari – the best zoos we’ve been to, although the term “zoo” takes on a different meaning here. Open spaces, animals moving overhead, no bars or typical fences, cleanliness, a strong emphasis on education – Singapore shows once again that it can be done better. You can read about the Singapore Zoo here.
- Chinatown – which is a Chinese neighborhood hidden among the skyscrapers, where a must-see is the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum. Take a look inside necessarily!
- Little India – in Singapore you can feel like in India…. although in a more modern way. Lots of stalls, fruits, vegetables, colorful materials, flowers – the streets are full of colors and smells, coming out of Indian restaurants. You can read about Little India and Chinatown here.
– An island with amusement parks, restaurants, beaches, parks…. However, we were most impressed by the S.E.A. located here. Aquarium! Highly recommended to both young and old :)
- Food courts and local food! We fell in love with this way of eating, looked into every “canteen” we passed and always left a few Singapore dollars there. The variety of cuisines, dishes and flavors means that there is something for everyone. We immediately anticipate questions – not once did we have any stomach problems, and the food was tasty (although often greasy) and inexpensive.
Singapore Changi Airport
– the name of the blog obliges, so we had to include here the best airport in the world. We describe it as an interesting place in Singapore to draw your attention to how it is organized and prepared for passengers, how many attractions await travelers here and what solutions have been applied. Even if you only have a connecting flight here and don’t go out into the city, here is a foretaste of what awaits you in Singapore.
TOP 9 map of Singapore
Below you will find a map of must-see places in Singapore, with all the points described above marked:
Singapore absorbed us. It’s a place we would love to return to, as there are still a few places left to see, however, and also traveling with an older child will be a whole new experience.
Even if you’re not a fan of city sightseeing, it’s worth including Singapore on your travel dream list!
If you are looking for more information about Singapore , please see our post Singapore – practical information.
We also recommend you TOP 10 places in Iceland, TOP 10 places in the Canary Islands, TOP 17 attractions in Japan, TOP 10 places in Cuba, TOP 10 places in Madeira, TOP 5 attractions in Beijing, TOP 10 things you must do in the Faroe Islands. TOP 10 attractions in Rome, TOP 5 most beautiful places in Switzerland and TOP 10 attractions in Lodz.
What is your TOP 10 of Singapore? Let us know in the comments! :-)